Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Explorer Vest


Well I am never happy to have Christmas be over.  I am not quite sad but do wish I could make Christmas last a little longer.  Our tree and decorations are still up.  We had my dad and step-mother over today for a Christmas celebration so it was important to have it look like Christmas.  I guess this weekend we will need to take it down.

I do like the idea of the fresh start that a new year brings.  I have so many crafty goals (see previous post) that I am just so excited for.  And I am looking forward to continuing to document them here.  My hope is that as my crafting improves that this little blog will too.


Another thing I am very excited about is this vest. I get such a rush when I finish sewing something and then having it used.   It is the explorer vest from the oliver + s little things to sew book.  I found it tricky.  I did the simple pockets but had to start them over quite a bit and they still aren't perfect but at a certain point I needed to move on.  And the binding was a little tricky for me to where the ends had to meet.  I do have the oliver and s sewing dvds and should really watch the second one.  I  love the vest though mistakes and all.  I love the green trim and buttons.  And I love that is lined and love the fabric that I used for the lining.

I had initially regretted my decision to do navy when I saw lighter cute colored vests.  But I realized that mistakes are less obvious in the dark color.  It is a canvas and I can't remember where I bought it.  I also can't remember where the lining fabric came from or who made it.  The buttons and bias are from Walmart.  I was going to make my own bias but when I saw the green at Walmart I realized it was perfect.

I am not sure what I will sew next.  Either a jumper for Stella or an outfit for her doll.  I have a few quilts in the works and knitting projects too.  Oh and I just remembered some other things to add to my crafting goals - I want to sew a doll and make somethings with felt and make this and this.  I have so much to look forward to.  Happy New Year!

No comments: