Monday, March 4, 2013

Seeking Input on My Circle Quilt


In addition to starting new projects recently I have really been wanting to finish up some old ones.  I can't remember when I pieced this quilt top.  I know it was 2007 or 2008 because I was living in Portland, Maine.  I took a class at Sew Portland to make this quilt top that I think they called Freddy Circles.  I was just given paper templates I think but I thought the pattern was in a Freddy Moran book.  The fabric is not quilting cotton but a textured cotton by Joelle Hoverson.  I forget the name of it and it is long gone.  I have enough in another color for the binding.  I have a similar feeling old tablecloth from Crate and Barrel that I thought I would use for the backing.  The tablecloth is so heavy I thought I would not bother to use batting.  Is that a bad idea?

I really want to baste it this month and quilt it.  I really have been wanting to get better at machine quilting.  I am slightly afraid of messing this up since the quilting will be very noticeable I think.  That is my other question.  What color thread should I use?  I was thinking variegated.  And my last question is how should I quilt it?  I was thinking of doing concentric squares over the circles but then there would be an overlap.  I was told once that curvy quilts should be quilted with straight lines and straight lined quilts should have curvy quilt lines.  I am not really a rule follower but that seems like good advice for this quilt.

I do have to comment on how modern this quilt is.  I love modern quilts but I don't know if they are really my style since I love girly flowery soft looking quilts too. And I don't know if they go in my home.  But again I love them. I love so many different styles I really struggle at having my own.  I feel all over the place sometimes.  I read a great post earlier this week from Rachel at Stitched in Color on defining your style.  I haven't tried the exercises she suggested yet but I really want to.  Maybe I will today. I will let you know how it goes.

I am going to link up to Plum and June for the first time. And Freshly Pieced: WIP Wednesday

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christine, I love this quilt and I've really enjoyed looking through your blog! I'm glad we both linked up the Plum and June on the same day :)

Suz said...

I would do straight diagonal lines through your squares. I would use red or yellow thread- or whichever will beat suit binding. Prob don't have to include batting because it might then be way too thick:)

Country Maison (Eva Martin) said...

I still have to make my first quilt and I think it will be pure squares, so simple, simple.. .this one looks so complicated to me. It looks lovely and I would agree with Suz on the lines keeping them straight and diagonal, but I have not done any quilting so far so I'm not one to follow advice from on this. . .
xEva

Claire Jain said...

I have definitely seen vintage summer "quilts" that don't use any batting. I haven't tried it, though, and there's on telling what it's going to be like with a heavier fabric. I think it's a beautiful quilt, though. Thanks for stopping by WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

Stephanie said...

Such a pretty quilt - I love the pattern as well as your colors! I would do straight diagonal lines through your squares as well :)